Book Title: Exceptionally Gifted Children
Author: Miraca U. M. Gross
Exceptionally Gifted Children
- 5 Levels of Gifted: School Issues and Educational Options
- Off the Charts: Asynchrony and the Gifted Child
- Living With Intensity: Understanding the Sensitivity, Excitability, and the Emotional Development of Gifted Children, Adolescents, and Adults
- Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings (2nd ed.)
- Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
- Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders (2nd Edition)
- Giftedness 101 (Psych 101)
- Middle School Science Education: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Vol. III, Grades 6-8
- Elementary Science Education: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Vol. II, grades 3-5, 2nd ed.
- High IQ Kids: Collected Insights, Information, and Personal Stories from the Experts
is unique. The first edition of this book, published in 1993, introduced 15 remarkable children, some of the most gifted young people ever studied, and traced their path through school, exploring their academic achievements (and in some cases enforced underachievement), their emotional development, their social relationships and their family relationships and upbringing. This new edition reviews these early years but also follows the young people over the subsequent ten years into adulthood.
No previous study has traced so closely and so sensitively the intellectual, social and emotional development of highly gifted young people. This 20 year study reveals the ongoing negative academic and social effects of prolonged underachievement and social isolation imposed on gifted children by inappropriate curriculum and class placement and shows clearly the long lasting benefits of thoughtfully planned individual educational programs. The young adults of this study speak out and show how what happened in school has influenced and still influences many aspects of their lives. Miraca Gross provides a clear, practical blueprint for teachers and parents who recognise the special learning needs of gifted children and seek to respond effectively.